St. Petersburg High School was founded in 1898 and graduated its first student in 1901. The school's current building, a historic landmark, was built in 1926. It was designed by Missouri architect William B. Ittner. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
On August 31, 2012 a fire started on the roof above the Auditorium. The School incurred over one million dollars’ worth of smoke and water damage. This incident prompted the need to install fire protection and St. Pete Fire Protection was just the company for the job.